Your Neighbor in Real Estate: It’s the Law!! CO device is Required in All SFR

It’s the Law!! CO device is Required in All SFR

It’s the Law!! CO device is Required in All SFRWarning sign

With regard to all real estate transactions in the state of California, a carbon monoxide device MUST be installed in all single-family residences—it’s the law! California joins over 25 states which have enacted a similar law.

The law, as of July 1, 2011,  applies to homes that have a fossil fuel burning heater or appliance, fireplace or an attached garage.

The carbon monoxide device should be installed outside of each separate dwelling unit sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom, and it should be on every level of the home, including the basement.

While detectors installed in newly constructed homes must be hard-wired in to the house, devices for existing homes can be battery-operated or plug in with a battery backup. Devices that operate as both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are also available.

Carbon monoxide kills more than 500 people each year and severely injures another 20,000 people nationwide.

Carbon monoxide is produced by burning fuels such as gas, oil, wood or coal. Upon inhalation, the gas enters the bloodstream and decreases the ability of blood to carry oxygen to vital organs.

Initial symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light-headedness or headaches. If you or other members of your home are experiencing these symptoms, immediately leave your home and get fresh air.  Call for medical help after getting out of your home.

Because people cannot smell or see it, it is often referred to as "the silent killer," meaning people may not know they are being poisoned.

Like fire detectors, you will want to install carbon monoxide detectors on high walls or ceilings, and not place them in low areas where they can be tampered with by children or pets.

If you’re carbon monoxide detectors start beeping, you’ll want to take the following steps:
  • Turn off carbon monoxide detector and get everyone outside.
  • Check to see if anyone is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.  If so, call 911.
  • Open windows in home to get fresh air circulating.
  • Turn off all appliances and heating systems.
  • Call an appliance or heating professional to check for a carbon monoxide leak.
  • Following these steps will help to protect your family in the event of a carbon monoxide leak.

If you are a Real Estate Agent reading this, save your clients from this tragedy. Tell them to install a carbon monoxide device today. If you are a member of the general public, a seller or a buyer, please know the law, and more importantly, prevent a possible tragedy in your home.


Sandy Acevedo ~Your Neighbor in Real Estate ~ Whether it is to buy or sell property

                 in Riverside or San Bernadino County, I can help!~

 

If you are interested in learning more about Inland Empire Real Estate, please contact me. I am ready to assist you! 

Sandy Nichols HAFA Specialist

 

HAFA Certified and I can assist you with foreclosure alternatives.

 

 

Sandy Acevedo   Cell: (951) 290-8588  BRE #01178979

Email me

View my Blog

RE/MAX Masters Realty

14760 Pipeline Av., Chino Hills, Ca 91709


Click To go to Sandi's Business Page

 

 

     
Comment balloon 8 commentsSandy Acevedo • July 18 2011 01:37AM

Comments

We just had the same law passed in CA.  Why all of a sudden are these laws popping up?

Posted by Tim Lorenz, 949 874-2247 (TIM LORENZ - Elite Home Sales Team) over 7 years ago

This became law on July 1 but I think there are still a lot of consumers and landlords that are not aware of this yet.  Thanks for the information.

Posted by Doug Bullwinkel, Mortgage Loan Originator NMLS #281609 (Envoy Mortgage, NMLS 6666) over 7 years ago

Hi Tim, I was talking about California. And there are close to 25 other states that also have this same law. There seem to be a lot of deaths and injuries due carbon monoxicide and which these detectors will help eliminate.

Posted by Sandy Acevedo, RE/MAX Masters, Inland Empire Homes for Sale (951-290-8588) over 7 years ago

You're welcome, Doug. Help spread the word.

Posted by Sandy Acevedo, RE/MAX Masters, Inland Empire Homes for Sale (951-290-8588) over 7 years ago

Yes...Sandy...thanks for this....and Doug is right...I don't think all homeowners are aware of

Posted by Aida Pinto, Real Estate Broker (562) 884-6196 (United Associated Brokers) over 7 years ago

I think it will become the standard here in Florida at some point also so I'm trying to get the word out about how important this is. Great post, Sandy.

Posted by Toni Weidman, 26 Years Selling Homes in New Port Richey, FL (Sailwinds Realty) over 7 years ago

In Mecklenburg County (Charlotte area), NC, there is also a requirement that every home sold in the County, including new and existing homes must have a CO detector.  The National Fire Protection Association has a code , number 720, 2-1.1.2* 1998 states that " A carbon monoxide alarm or detector should be centrally located outside of each separated sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms. Where bedrooms are separated and the audibility of the alarm or detector to occupants within the bedroom area could be seriously impaired, more than one unit could be needed. Each alarm or detector should be located on the wall, ceiling, or other location as specified in the installation instructions that accompany the unit." .  

Posted by Daniel H. Fisher, MCRP - Charlotte Real Estate, NC or SC (www.FisherHermanRealty.com (704) 617-3544) over 7 years ago

Hi Aida, please help spread the word. It is not enough to wait until a home is to be sold. It begins NOW.

Hi Steve and Natalie, nice going on installing it yourself.

Hi Toni, There's a story going around about a man who installed this thinking it was a smoke detector and saved his family when Mom brought home the new baby and they turned on the heater. So it is very important!

Hi Daniel, sounds similar to here, but the law here was for the whole state. Yours is just county-wide?

Posted by Sandy Acevedo, RE/MAX Masters, Inland Empire Homes for Sale (951-290-8588) over 7 years ago

Participate